Sunday, April 19, 2009

The day I wasn't sure would ever come...

Wednesday, April 15, 2009. The day I saw my first ever positive pregnancy test! I had been waiting for that day for 5 long years.

I have been testing for cycles and cycles-- always hopeful, but tests were always negative. I think I alone have kept the Dollar Tree pregnancy test in production. Thankfully-- they only cost $1.

Gary and I had had good timing in March...so I hoped. I had been praying my tail off. This was the "hail mary" cycle for 2009. If it didn't happen in March... we wouldn't have a baby until 2010. The pain of that thought was awful.

So, I had a couple tests and figured wasting a few bucks wasn't a big deal. I had tested on Tuesday, the 14th and thought maybe I saw a shadow of a line. Gary agreed there was something there, but I was convinced it was just an evaporation line since I hadn't checked the test before the 10 minute time limit. On Wednesday morning, I woke up to pee- about 5:45am. Since I thought I had seen a line the day before, I decided to use a more reliable test- Walmart brand. Ha!! Anyway, I pee'd on the stick. Stared at it for a minute. Saw nothing, convinced it was another negative. Put the test on the sink and went back to bed. I laid for there a few minutes. Just thinking and praying. Then I thought, maybe I should get up and check it, just so I know I checked it within the 10 minute time frame. I get up, go to the bathroom-fully expecting a negative. I pick up the test. Look at it. Blink a few times. And then the only words I could mutter were "Oh my god, oh my god". I walk out of the bathroom into the bedroom and say "oh my god" again. Gary rolls over, I turn the light on and I need him to tell me he sees what I see. His first words- "theres a line!" (in the most excited, just woken out of a dead asleep voice you can imagine) Needless to say, there was a lot of giggling and squealing after that. I tried to get back to bed, but there was no way I was falling back asleep. I went to my office, sat at my desk and just starred at it:


I think back in 2008 when we had done our IVF I had bought a digital test. I saved it because at like $15 a pop, I was not about to waste that sucker if I wasn't sure it was going to say just one word. So I still had it in my vanity drawer. I chugged down a cup of coffee (so I would have to pee again) and I busted out the digital test. This was the most beautiful sight ever:

To see the smile on Gary's face when I showed him the digital. It was priceless.

So I wasn't really going to feel sure until I got the results of a blood test. I decided to go Friday morning. I went in early on Friday morning for the blood draw and knew it was going to be a long day. That ended up being an understatement. Talk about not being able to focus. I was so unproductive work wise- it was almost really sad. I did all that I could to focus on work... but it just wasn't happening. Got the call late Friday afternoon-- my hcg level was 154! (they like to see your hcg level >50)

I am definitely pregnant!!!!! Wahoo!!!!!!

I was beside myself. What's weird though- I have not cried. I have always envisioned getting my + and just bawling like a baby. I literally have not cried. Gary thinks I have shed all my tears with all the negatives we have experienced. He might be right!

So one of the things that I was able to occupy my time with on Friday was trying to figure out how I would tell my parents. Obviously not living near them was going to make it difficult. It was very important to me that I get to see their reaction. So we decided we would tell them over video chat on Skype. I printed 2 pictures from Pottery Barn Kids-- one boy themed room and one girl themed room. I called my mom, told her I needed her and daddy's opinion on something and that I needed her to log onto Skype. Once we got on video chat I told them that we were thinking of redoing one of the bedrooms and we needed their opinion on which picture they liked better. Took my mom a second... my dad got it first! It was great to hear their reaction. I would have preferred to have been there and able to tell them in person, but this was next best. I am just so happy I have had the chance to surprise them with this!!!

Gary made the calls to all of his family. They are over the moon for us. With my neices starting to get older it will be nice to have a baby around again! It will be fun to see the two girls with their new cousin!

Telling my sister, was great too. Again, I wish I was able to do it in person, but I couldnt. I called her and started asking her if she thought she would be able to come to LA for Christmas. She gave me the annoyed "I dont know Michelle, I told you that is too far away. " My response-- "Well, it would be really nice if Auntie could be here!" It took her a second... then I had to say-- "I'm pregnant!" I wish I could have seen her reaction.

Needless to say.... WE ARE SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: