Friday, October 7, 2011

Sad things about military life

I don't post much about "military" life. In fact, for the past 4+ years life has been pretty normal. Our 3 years on shore duty were completely civilian like since essentially no one around us was military. Even since we have been back in CT, yes we are in the thick of Navy life, but since Gary hasn't been out to sea yet it kinda doesn't seem to be reality. Even now, with where we live, none of our neighbors are military, so it is normal life.

This morning I overheard something that made me sad. As Liam and I were walking into daycare there was a Dad standing at the check in desk talking to the receptionist. She was looking over his enrollment paperwork. She said to him: "Do you want to put down emergency contact information for someone other than you or your wife?" His response: "We don't know anyone. We literally know no one here, we just got here." This made me so sad. Actually sad and scared for them. What if (not likely I know) something happened today and they couldn't get a hold of the husband or wife. Poor kid was only 3. It is sad, but it is reality for military families.

I remember when we were moving to Louisiana- we  moved to a place where we knew no one closer than 75 miles. Not a single soul. I remember warning Gary just as we were about to leave Washington. I warned him that soon he wasn't just going to be my husband- he was going to be my husband, best friend and girlfriend. He was going to have to fill all those roles for me. Thankfully we moved into a great neighborhood and it didn't take me long to make friends with my neighbors, but it was probably a good 2-3 months before I got to have a real, in person conversation with someone other than my husband.

So back to the guy from this morning. I was tempted to introduce myself... just so he didn't have to say he knew no one here. Ha! When I was leaving I pegged the big truck with Hawaii plates as his. Military life can be hard. I am beyond fortunate that I have family and friends close by, but I know not everyone is as fortunate. It weighs heavy on my heart when I think about the 22 year old I know who had a miscarriage last week and that she had to spend time by herself dealing with this (and caring for her almost 2 year old) because her husband had to work. That to me is very sad. There are certain things you shouldn't have to go through alone... but everyday people do.

I guess this is life. I don't want this to come across as a complaining post because really its not. I know how fortunate we are everyday that Gary has a job, a roof over our head and a great extended family of friends. I guess situations like above just remind me of how I need to appreciate everything I do have!

1 comment:

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

GIrl I am with you... although Blake is not in the military I feel like it all the time... we moved half way across the world for his job where we knew no one... but God is so good... and now this place is home... and something I have realized is we are not alone... there are tons of us... thanks for sharing your heart with your blog readers... and I too feel for that man... so sad but knowing dads they find friends soon.. if not for them but for their kids...