Last Saturday morning Gary's submarine left ( moved, drove, sailed, whatever you want to call it) for the first time EVER. This boat had literally never moved on its own before last Saturday. Exciting to say the least! They were scheduled to leave at 0630. Umm... could they have picked an earlier time? Well, I am sure they could have, but I digress. 6:30am they were scheduled to leave. On Friday we activated our first Phone Tree call. This is basically a "telephone" network to communicate official messages from the boat command. I am a "Phone Tree Caller", so basically someone calls me, gives me a message and I then have to call 8 people and give them the exact same message. Good times. Most of the messages cant be left on a voicemail, so I actually have to speak with them every time. Makes it exciting. Ha!! Anyway, we got our message on Friday that we could all meet at the beach at 6am to watch the boat drive by. It was going to be early, but Liam and I HAD to be there. I was not going to miss this.
Gary's alarm went off at 2:30am that day. Yawn! I know he was tired, but I know this was a big moment for him and the crew, so there was some excitement. He kissed me and Liam good-bye and we went back to sleep. 5:15 came and Liam and I were up and at 'em. Out the door at 5:45. When we got to the beach-- there were about 12 other families already there. The moon was out and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. It was cold as hell, but the skies were clear and it was beautiful.
Waiting for the boat to come by
Here they come!
Bye-bye Dada!
Getting deeper and deeper as they head into the Sound
Freezing at 6am!
To say that it was emotional and exciting might be an understatement. We have done a new boat before and I wasn't emotional because I would be missing Gary (even though I do terribly)-- It was emotional because it takes over 4 years to get to this point. Gary has been assigned to this boat for over 2 years and this is the first time all of their hard work is truly coming to fruition. It is remarkable. This was history. The first sailing of the USS Mississippi-- a boat that will be part of the submarine fleet for at least the next 30 years. Amazing!
So they left and Liam and I went home. We snuggled back up in bed and watched Toy Story 3. It was a good way to spend the morning. We were both tired and to be lazy felt really good! The rest of Saturday was a blur. My parents came out early afternoon and I was able to head out and do my 10 mile training run. It felt great. The wind was really hard to contend with though. I was exhausted when I got home. But... I had no time to be exhausted. I had a bachelorette party to get ready for!! My cousin Deena is getting married in May and we were head to Foxwoods for a fun night out! We had a great time!! Dinner, drinks and a comedy show. Couldn't ask for a better night out!
I'll catch you all up on our Easter soon! Lots of egg hunting around here!


No comments:
Post a Comment