Thursday, July 12, 2012

The moment you dream about

While Gary is underway I always think about that moment of seeing him for the first time as he comes off the boat. My mind creates the moment and I always wonder if it will truly play out how I am imagining it. Before Liam, when Gary was on his last boat, I remember waiting in the living room on a day he was returning from underway. He'd always call me and tell me he was on his way and I would wait. Then when I hear him pull in the driveway and hear him close the truck door --I'd get butterflies. Even after having been together for so long, I'd get butterflies like I did when we were first dating. It was so exciting to get to see him for the first time after weeks or months. Usually there would be a passionate kiss (What? We hadn't seen each other in weeks) and then I'd get a whiff. A whiff of the "boat smell." The smell of diesel fuel. While in and of itself is a disgusting smell-- when it means your sailor is home-- you come to like it. The liking it only lasts for seconds and I would quickly shoo him off to the shower to scrub and I'd promptly take his clothes straight to the washer. That was a typical "homecoming."

Now that we have Liam, what I was imagining in my mind was much different. I pictured Liam very excited to see Gary and running into his arms. Life mimicked fantasy this past Monday when Gary's boat returned home to Groton. Crazy to think that they hadn't been home in over 2 months. While time has seemed to go by, 2 months seems like so long for them to have been away. It was a special moment and we are so happy to have Gary home... even if just for a short time!


Some pictures leading up to that moment:





Gary had duty today, so he has to be at work all day and night. Liam and I decided to bring him dinner and "picnic" in the back of the car. 
Liam pointing out Gary's boat. 

Liam's eyes are shut and there is a terrible UV haze in the photo, but Gary looks too handsome not to share! I love my sailor!! 

Hope you all have a great weekend! Summer Friday for me tomorrow-- love kicking off the weekend early! Yay! 

Enjoy! 


2 comments:

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

Amazing and so glad that he is home... and you should be proud of your sailor and he should be proud of you... you are an amazing wife and mom... thanks for sharing this moment with us readers.

Aunt Marie said...

I love watching that video of Liam running to his Dad. Brings tears to my eyes. So happy for you that Gary is home. You are so strong. Love you and kiss Liam for me. xxoo