Saturday, February 6, 2010

Yay! It's Offical!

We are moving back to CT!! Yeah! We are so excited! Finally on Thursday Gary got his offical orders.  This all goes way back to the week of Thanksgiving. Since this summer we thought we were going to be going to Virginia, but the timing for that assignment was really bad-- Gary would have had to leave mid-January. So in November he was talking with his Detailer about what other billets might be open.  He happen to have a spot open on a submarine that is just being built in Groton. Gary is not a huge fan of Groton. He spent 8 years there and he hates New England weather-- just not a fan of the area (aside from loving my family!). So when he called me and said Groton was an option, I was secretly hopeful that we would go for it, but I really told him he needed to think long and hard about it. Last thing I wanted was for him to take an assignment and go to a place where he would be unhappy and miserable.  Well...when he really thought about it he decided this really would be the best move. Since the sub is still being built that means he wont have to go out to sea for a while... which means he wont have to miss any of Liam's precious first years and which means I dont need to freak out about the idea of traveling for work! This was a HUGE fear of mine if we were going to VA. I had NO idea how I was going to handle Gary being out to sea and me needing to travel for work. Thankfully... now not an issue!

So Gary reports to the new boat on March 31st! The next few weeks will be a complete whirlwind. The closing on our house is February 19th. My mom is going to fly down and make the drive with me and Liam. We will follow Gary to Virigina-- at that point he will stay-- he has to go to a 10 day schooling for his new job and my mom and I will continue on. It is a 1500 mile trip from here to CT. I wont lie- I am completely overwhelmed at the idea of this.  With Liam we will need to stop every 3 hours or so to feed, change and give him some stretch time. This is going to make for some LONG days. I know it will all be worth it, but the thought of it now is scary! The last day will be the hardest because my mom and I will not only have Liam with us, but we will have our 2 dogs and cat with us as well--YIKES! We have been trying to rehome our dog Girly with no luck. We thought Gary's mom was going to adopt her, but they have had some issues with the dogs they already have, so that isnt going to happen.  I love her too much to just drop her off at the humane society, so unless something changes in the next 2 weeks- she is coming with us. (I should say that we are still open to adopting her to a loving home-- if anyone is interested! She really is an awesome dog...we just are only supposed to have 2 pets in Navy housing. If anyone is interested-let me know and I can tell you all about her!)

I pray, pray, pray the weather cooperates that weekend! 

So needless to say... our last 2 weeks in our house will fly by!  I am so sad that we are losing this house-- we LOVE this house! We have decided that in CT we will move into Navy housing for at least 6 months. We are thinking about possibly buying a house, but really dont want to rush into anything. I swore I would NEVER live in Navy housing, but I guess I should never say never.  Ultimately it will work out best for the short term. Who knows...I might end up liking it!  We have been fortunate enough to secure ourselves a 3 bedroom duplex in an area of housing reserverd for higher ranked military members.  This makes me happy. I feel like this will ensure we are living around more mature people-- hopefully more around our age (or at least not people in their early 20's-- no offense to anyone reading this who is in their early 20's). We havent actually seen this house, so we are going in a little blind, but the girl in the housing office told us it is a good house and has a large deck on the back. Sounds promising!

Here is what Liam thinks about our move to CT:


In other news-- Renee is here this weekend! She is spoiling Liam rotten! He loves haveing Auntie Nee here! She will be spoiling me and Gary tonight by babysitting for us!  Dinner and a movie sounds like heaven!! Sad that she is only here until Monday though.  This trip is so short- it will feel like it is over before it started! We are so lucky to have her here for the weekend though! :)

No comments: