Thursday, May 26, 2011

2.5ml, 3ml, 4ml, .083, .5

My title? Oh... those? Those are just the measurements of the 5 medicines my baby is currently on. :( How awful is that? Morning and night my poor baby is on a cocktail of drugs that would make Charlie Sheen jealous. And this mama... while I am BEYOND thankful he is seeming to feel much much better... I still hate that I am putting all these meds into him. I dream about the day that we don't have medicine routines before school and before bed. And please... let me be clear... I know this is nothing compared to what some go through-- I know. And I am so thankful. But it still sucks. Feeling helpless for your child sucks no matter the issue.

But thankfully Liam is starting to feel better! On Tuesday night (Wednesday morning) he woke up with the most ear piercing cry-- I jumped out of bed immediately. I knew it wasn't his normal "I've woken up, I want to cuddle, I want some milk" kind of cry. He meant business...there was something wrong. I went in his room and he was sitting up in his crib burning up. Poor baby. He was poopy and I could tell he was in mid-fever. I yelled to Gary to go downstairs and get him some milk and Motrin. Sleepily Gary obliged! I changed Liam and brought him to our bed. He was whining and beat red... it was truly a heart wrenching sight. As I was giving him the Motrin, he gaged a bit and then proceeded to throw up a whole bunch of mucus. It was very gross, but I was so thankful he was in some way shape or form getting some of this mucus out of him. I mean... at 18 months... its not like he can just huck a luggie and spit up the snot. It just sits in his chest. Anyway...I know that was gross...sorry! So Liam ended up staying in bed with us and he and I slept till almost 7:30. Almost a record for him! He was still very feverish in the morning...so I took a sick day. After some Motrin, his fever came down and he was more himself.

Motrin does amazing things. Brings his fever down almost instantly and gives him some semblance of a toddler personality... but... creep up on that 6th hour after you give it and it is like a switch is flipped. Fever returns and so does that crabby, whiny, "I don't feel good" child. Rinse and repeat. We did that all day yesterday. When he was feeling good... he was good. When he was feeling bad...he was bad. I did get to do the "tag your it" with Gary at 5pm- as I had a "Ladies Night" planned with the other wives from Gary's boat.

Ladies Night out was a good time! It is nice to gather with a group of women, have a couple drinks, a yummy dinner and some laughs. The thing I think I find most interesting is the diversity of the group-- you have women from all over the country (CT, MD, CA, OK, MN, NY, etc), all ages (21- 40ish), various #'s of kids (0-4) and different career paths (some as stay at home moms and others with corporate America careers). Great diversity... yet, we all come together and have a great time. I consider myself fortunate to be part of this group of women. Yes... there is drama. I avoid it like the plague b/c honestly...I don't have time for anything else in my life. Ha!! Funny thing about being married to the military is that some wives "wear their husbands rank"- meaning... they will only socialize with those whose husbands are similar rank to their own or higher. Some "officer" wives will only socialize with "officer" wives and some "enlisted" wives only socialize with "enlisted" wives. Honestly? I could give a rats ass what your husband does. Who cares? Why is that important? I get that for the sailors-- yes- there need to be boundaries (part of the fraternization rules)- I get it. But for the wives-- why? To me... you are just missing out on a chance to meet some really great people. Okay... off my soapbox. Last night was fun! Next ladies night is Bunco at my house... that should be a very good time!!

Pretty quiet holiday weekend ahead-- just doing some visiting. Visiting my parents on Saturday and then Liam has a play date with his buddy Jake on Sunday. Monday... Monday is for relaxing!!

I am already looking forward to it!!

No comments: