Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Busted!

Lip that is. :( We had experience #1 with blood gushing busted lip over the weekend. :( Talk about your heart sinking in a split instance. On Sunday we were invited to a block party. Our neighborhood is made up of 3 streets- 2 being cul de sacs and one being a connector street. We live on one of the cul de sacs and the families of the other cul de sac had invited us to participate in their Labor Day Block Party. Fun! It was great to go over and meet some new families. Some we had already met at the little neighborhood park, but it was nice to meet the other families.

Liam was off and running as soon as we got there. There was a huge bouncy house and all the families that live in that cul de sac had pulled out all their kids toys. There was plenty for the kids to do. Liam is very fond of bikes, push toys, etc. and he was instantly attracted to a little trike that had an adult push handle. Like this:

So Liam jumped on and was scooting around. Our little neighbor, Chase, who is 5 said "I'll push you Liam!" I should have known this could end badly. I did warn "Not too fast Chase" as he ran over to meet Liam. Things started off well, but then Chase picked up too much speed and right in front of our eyes... they spilled. It was total slow motion. Heart crushing slow motion. Liam literally smacking the pavement with his face.

Gary and I raced over and it was blood everywhere. Just gushing from Liam's little mouth. In that instance... my heart is in my toes. We realize it is just his lip, not his teeth-- which did make me feel better. I put a little pressure with some napkins and grabbed him some ice. Liam loves ice...so it was almost instantly better. The fact that we were letting him suck on a big piece of ice equaled heaven for him! Took him about 5 minutes to calm down, but he was so good. He had a split lip and some road rash on his chin. Could have been much worse-- thankfully it wasn't. Lesson learned- no pushing of bikes!

Here he is modeling his bruises:


Gary actually took it very hard and proceeded to hover over Liam the rest of the afternoon. I told him he was being a "helicopter parent" and he needed to back away. He was mad that we "had let Liam get hurt." I had to explain to him that we didn't let Liam get hurt- Liam was playing and got hurt. He is so protective. I am too, but I understand that accidents happen. I think he thinks that with each bump and bruise we become "bad" parents. Liam's childhood is going to be a long one if this keeps up!

No comments: