In early 2011 I sat down at my computer and decided to put my goals into print. These goals were weight loss/ fitness goals and they had been floating around in my head for a while. I felt like if I put them on paper and posted them somewhere visible (especially somewhere others could see them) than maybe I would be motivated and stay on track. So that is what I did. So in 2011 my goals were to:
- 34x34 (lose 34lbs by my 34th birthday)- FAIL
- Complete 1 5k road race- FAIL
- Complete a Sprint Triathlon- Partial FAIL (while I did do a triathlon it was a super sprint which is shorter than a Sprint)
- Train to complete a 1/2 Marathon in 2012- Working it!
Front and center on the fridge for all to see!
To help with my goal #1 I joined Weight Watchers. While I didn't make it to 34lbs, I did lose 21 which I was pretty happy about. The challenge with me and WW is I have a tendency to be loosey goosey which doesn't bode well when you are trying to lose weight. I am thankful that I have maintained the 20 lbs weight loss and haven't fluctuated too much. And I have religiously gone to my meetings for the past year. Sure I have missed one here or one there, but I have never missed more than 2 in a row. I cant say that I have learned a ton, since I really do have all the knowledge, but the meetings have held me accountable and that is truly what I have needed. I also set little rewards for myself for weight milestones. Ya know-- a mani/pedi, a massage, new expensive jeans, a shopping spree, etc. I have decided to hold off on the jeans since it really doesn't make sense for me to spend $$$ on jeans that hopefully will be too big for me soon. :)
So coming into 2012 I decided I would do it again. Put my goals to paper. This year my goals are:
- 35x35 (only 14lbs to go!)
- complete 1/2 marathon
- complete super sprint triathlon and improve overall time
- Train for full marathon in 2013
Back in January I was visiting with a friend who had a baby in October. She and I were talking and she said how much she wanted to do a 1/2 marathon this year. I agreed and said I would do it with her. In my mind... I was thinking Hartford in October. Months and months to train. Phew! Then in the middle of January she called me and said "How about the Providence 1/2 on May 6th?!" Umm... as in May 2012? As in <5 months from now. Uuuuhhhhh...okay? :-/ Que freak out! BUT I said I would do it.... so I am going to do it. I am going into this with the mindset that even if I have to walk some, if I can cross that finish line then I have accomplished my goal. I am by no means going out to set records. I just want to finish.
So for the past 2 months I have been training. I am (dare I say) actually starting to enjoy running. When I complete my longer runs on the weekends I feel so good. So accomplished. Last weekend I did a 5 mile run. And then I repeated it on Tuesday. Me... 5 miles... straight... not stopping. This is HUGE! This weekend is 6 miles. Wont lie... a little scared, but I am confident I can do it. I am slow, no doubt, but I am determined!
I am continuing with my weight watchers and I have also added weights into my workout routine. I am ready for 2012 to end with a new me! I want Gary to be impressed every time he returns from being out to sea. I want to be able to keep up with Liam... actually I want to be able to out run Liam. :)


1 comment:
Phew! I'm tired for you. Will be thinking of you on my birthday (6th).
Uncle Larry said for you to come down here for your marathon. They have a half marathon & full marathon every October in Greenville. Its beautiful here that time of the year. Make it a girls weekend with your Mom & Renee.
Larry plans on volunteering for that race and said he'll be the one to hand you your award.
You can do it Michelle, we are proud of you. Love, Uncle Larry & Aunt Marie
Post a Comment