Friday, June 5, 2009

Week 11 Today!

I know I haven't been writing that frequently-- there just hasn't been much going on. I am still feeling great and just plugging through the weeks.

Today I am 11 weeks and I had an appt. with the Nurse Practitioner today. I will start off by saying that all ends well, but it was an infuriating visit to say the least. I love the NP-- such a nice lady. Gary came to the appt. with me today so I was really excited when she walked in with the hand held doppler. I knew that meant we would get to hear the heartbeat. When I went for my last ultrasound at the hospital the ultra tech. made a comment that my uterus was tilted back. So as the NP is trying to find the heartbeat today she mentioned that sometimes if the uterus is tilted back it can be hard to find the heartbeat. Needless to say- she didn't find the heartbeat. Okay... mini freak out. But thankfully(not so much!) on this day- the ultrasound tech was in and only had a couple patients so she could get me right in. Great!

So we go into the ultrasound room, get into position, and here we go. First let me say, this woman was not overly friendly or cheery. Kind of a lame personality. She lets us know that is she just going to do the ultrasound on the belly b/c she is just looking to confirm a heart beat. Okay. So she squirts the gel all over my stomach, gets her ultrasound thingy and gets to work. I am watching her face at this point b/c I cant see the screen.

Conversation goes like this:

She makes a face.
Tech (in a monotone voice) "How many weeks are you "supposed" to be???"
Me: "11"
Tech makes another face.
Removes the ultrasound thingy and says "We need to do an internal. I will step out and give you a minute to remove your underwear."

MAJOR freak out. I start bawling. Could she not see the baby? Could she not see a heartbeat? Why didn't she say anything? Thank god Gary was in there with me-- he is the only reason I did not completely loose it.

She comes back in. Proceeds to do the internal. Again in the most monotone voice says "Oh, there we go." That's it. That is as much excitement she could muster up for us. Mind you-- I am still crying. Now, seems to me, that if you are human and have a heart-- wouldn't you say to a crying patient "Don't get upset, lets do the internal and see what we see." Comfort me, make me think everything is okay. Nope, not this lady. I was so fired up when I left that office today. I get fired up about it now-- 8 hours later. I am pissed and I will definitely be talking with the NP about it the next time I go in for my appt. That lady has NO bedside manner and in my opinion should not be working in an OBGYN's office.

But we did get to see our jellybean and hear the heartbeat. Such a beautiful sound! No pictures today, but I am okay with that. I was just so happy to see that everything seems to be okay. I have lost a pound though. Not really sure how that happen considering I am eating myself out of house and home. I will go back in 2.5 weeks-- so hopefully all will be good again and that I have put on a lb. or 2.

Well... this has turned into a book. Today our baby is the size of a lime! Is it bad that the first thing that comes to mind when I see a lime is a Mojito??? :)
Your fetus currently enjoys a 1:1 ratio between body and head, and has skin so transparent that blood vessels show right through. But, fingers and toes are no longer webbed, and hair follicles, tooth buds and nail beds are forming -- setting up a significantly more attractive future.

2 comments:

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

Thank God.... you had me so nervous at the beginning of this post... not sure how much this is going to comfort you but techs seem to have that kind of personality.... they have a better relationship with their equipment then people... they see crying women every day (all day) and they just do their job.. not trying to defend them but just trying to let you know that you are not alone... just know that next time you go in... preparation is the key... the dr's. are better at touching the emotional side of the moms... congrats on your lime.

encore109 said...

Don't worry about the weight...I lost 12 the first trimester...ended up only gaing 20 the whole time....everyone's different and you will definitely gain in the 3rd trimster...so hold on to your bloomers! Check out www.babyfit.com...lots of good info and you can log your nutrition, etc.....