Tuesday, November 9, 2010

So glad it's done!

I am so glad that is over with! Today has been a long day. Being a mom has lurched my into a whole new level of worry. Even though everyone tells you things are going to be okay and even though you have the highest level of comfort and trust in your doctors-- are you ever 100% at ease? My gut tells me not. Liam is a superstar! That boy is such a trooper-- I am so proud of him!

Today started a bit rough. We were able to make it out of the house uneventful. I fed him when he woke at 1:30am, but I knew that bottle would be it until after the surgery. I was very worried about this. Liam likes his bottles. He likes his bottles a lot and I had no idea how we would make it through the morning without feeding him. So anyways...we made it out of the house okay, but once we were in the car and he realized we weren't just going to daycare--he got pissed. Screaming pissed. I have never heard him cry like this. He was pitching a full blown fit in his car seat. We got over the RI boarder (we were going to a hospital in Providence) and I made Gary pull over so I could get in the back seat. I just couldn't bare to hear him scream like that-- at least not without being able to look him in the eye and tell him how sorry I was. Eventually I was able to get him to calm down by letting him chew on my cell phone. I know...not "mommy of the year" award move, but it makes him happy. Within 20 minute he was asleep. Once we got to the hospital he woke up but was in a pretty good mood. I think he forgot how hungry he was. We got admitted and headed up to pre-op right away.

I have to say this hospital seemed to be on the ball. We were early, but I think we went back almost right on time. All of the nurses were extremely friendly and they were just gushing all over Liam. They just thought he was the cutest thing. I am sure they say it to all the babies, but I know my is the just the cutest ever! Right??? ;) The Dr. came in and we discussed exactly what he was going to do. The Dr. is very nice-- young guy. Maybe in his mid- 30s. Nice personality and has a great bed side manner. To me-- this makes all the difference in the world. It was agreed that I would go back with Liam initially-- at least until he was asleep. I gowned up and back we went.

It was almost surreal to be back there with him. I don't know why I wasn't expecting a full blown operating room...but I wasn't. I got immediately more nervous. This seemed real. Very real. The nurses had him laughing and they seemed to be coming out of the wood work to see him. I felt like he was in great hands!

Little man drifted off to sleep and I left them to do what they do best.

About an hour later the Dr. came to the recovery waiting room and told us that Liam did great! Tubes went in no problem and they were able to do the procedures for the pulmonologist. He even took pictures and gave us a copy. To say that I had no idea what we were looking at (larynx and esophagus) would be an understatement. So interesting. He took a couple samples from the lungs and these will be tested. I should hear from the pulmonologist within a few days.

Liam was in recovery and we soon headed back to see him. He was sound asleep when we arrived.


Gary and I went to the Gift Shop and bought him a little bear. We couldn't let this hospital visit go by without a gift!

He woke up groggy, but sucked down a big bottle of apple juice and seemed to be okay. We were discharged and he snoozed most of the rest of the day. He was a bit cranky when we got home, but I think considering the medication-- it is to be expected. We had lots of snuggle time tonight and he went down to bed on the early side. I have not expectations that he will sleep through the night, but I am just glad that today is over and went by with out any issues!

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers that came in today! Beyond appreciated!!!

No comments: