Wednesday, December 16, 2009

At home and aclimating

Liam finally got released to come home late yesterday afternoon. His bilirubin number (jaundice related)  still wasnt great, but it hadnt gotten too much worse, so I guess the Dr. felt it was okay to release us.  I was so happy.  4 nights in the hospital was about all I could take. We had eaten out every meal since Saturday since Gary wasnt given a food tray when the meals came around and I was about over take out food. 

Leaving the hospital with Liam in my arms seemed so surreal. Like I kept wondering if they would really let us take him.  Ha! We got home about 6:30 and our wonderful neighbor came down with a lasagna and italian bread for us. So nice to have a home cooked meal for dinner!

First night home= no sleep.   Totally to be expected!  I did a feeding around 11pm and then laid Liam in his pack n play and I crawled into bed. There was no sleeping for me.  I was worried about him the whole time and knowing that I had to get up in 3 hours to feed him-- I couldnt fall asleep.  Did a 3am feeding with him and then was back up at 5:30am.  He has been a pooping machine too so everytime we got up...there was a diaper change. Which I cant do by myself b/c I need Gary's help-- Liam is quite the wiggle worm.  Application of the ointment for Liam's circumcision is the most challenging part of the diaper changes. He moves so much and I am not supposed to apply the ointment with my finger and it is so thick-- with him squirming-- it is nearly impossible to apply by myself.  Gary has been great though. He gets up everytime I need him to! 

I think I ran on adrenline today.  I did lay down around noon and slept for an hour and a half. It felt good-- just enough  to recharge me.  Then I went and had a visit with my OB. I have been in TONS of pain since coming home and today I felt like I just really needed her to check me out and tell me everything was okay.  She said everything was fine and that the pain will get better. I really have to trust this...otherwise...I am not sure how I will make it through the next week or two. Nothing worse than being in pain when you walk, sit, lay and stand. Nothing feels good.

Liam has been doing great with the breastfeeding! He is a little champ. I have decided to pump as well. I figure this give Gary the chance to feed and bond with Liam as well. For me... it means I can take a feeding off in the night and hopefully get a few hours of straight sleep.

We have Liam's first pedi appt. tomorrow. She is going to test his bilirubin again and hopefully things will look good. All the pooping he has been doing will hopefully help! I am anxious to see where his weight is at. At birth he was 7lbs. 6oz and when we left the hospital he was down to 6lbs. 15oz.  I really hope his weight is back up a bit.

I am too lazy to get up and get the camera to post pictures, but promise I will post some tomorrow! Off to feed the little man!

1 comment:

Violet said...

sounds like things are going well for you!