Life with Liam is wonderful! I wanted to be sure I took the time to give an update. We are still in the hospital, but we are all doing well. I also wanted to be sure I documented the whole event-- so I dont forget.
Here we go!
On Friday morning I started to leak fluid. I really thought maybe I was peeing myself. It started around 11am. I ran out to do some errands and only made it to Walgreens. My leaking was so bad in Walgreens that I had to go home b/c it soaked through my jeans. Got home and was still debating if i was just having bladder issues or if something else was going on. Did some research on the internet and read all these things about how to tell the difference between pee and amniotic fluid. Smell it, try to stop it, etc. Nothing to me was conclusive. I decided around 2pm that I wasnt being productive work wise, so I decided to lay down and try to nap for a while. I snoozed for an hour or so and then got up and tried to finish a few work things. Gary got home around 4:30pm and I was telling him about my "issue". He really wanted me to call the Dr. I was hesitant b/c I knew she would tell me to go to Labor and Delivery (L&D), but I called anyway. Well my Dr. office was closed and she was not on call for the weekend. So the answering service gave me the on call Dr. #. I called and sure enough-- they wanted me to head to L&D. So I packed up our "last minute grab" items and we headed out. Got to L&D and checked in. They sent me to a room and I was joking with Gary b/c this room had a mirror on the ceiling. I was kidding with him about how crazy it would be to watch the delivery in a mirror. The nurse came in and got me hooked up to the fetal monitors. In order to tell if I was leaking fluid they did a quick swab and she told us she would be back in 20 minutes-- either to send us home or to tell us we were having a baby.
So we sat and waited. 20 minutes later the nurse walks in and announces- "We are having a baby tonight!" My response--"Are you serious?"
At 5:30am we started the Pitocin. At that point I was 3cm dialated. Contractions at first were manageable, but I knew they were going to get worse. Sure enough...by 8am...I was dying. I ordered my epidural and knew that relief was in sight. Epidural went great. Didnt feel a thing when she was putting it in and within 20 minutes I had relief. Over the next 4 hours the nurse slowly increased the pitocin and my contractions came closer and closer. By 1pm I was 10 cm dialated and ready to go. The nurse called the Dr. and we started pushing. Liam wasnt fully engaged so I had to push pretty hard to get him to move. Dr. thought it would be a good idea to use forceps to help the process along. I have to say-- this was the worst part. I was in so much pain. The worse part is the pain wasnt from that actual labor-- it was from the forceps. The pressure was horrific. Gary was an awesome coach. He was by my head the whole time, held my head and back and did all the counting for me. During rest he would tell me how awesome I was doing and rubbed my head and hair. It was so great to have his support. At one point- I really didnt think I could make it. I was hyperventilating and I was screaming in pain.
After 40 minutes of pushing Liam made his way into the world. What a relief! He wailed a cry right away and they placed him on my chest. The feeling that rushed me at that moment is undescribable. The moment I have waited 6 years for...the moment that makes me cry like a baby every time I watched the Baby Story...the moment I knew I would truly feel like a mommy... that was it! The moment he was placed on my chest and I could reach up and touch him... that was the greatest moment of my life. I didnt react like I thought I would though. I thought for sure I would be in tears (tears of joy of course), but it was like I was beyond that point. I couldnt cry.
They quickly took Liam and put him under the warming lamps and started to clean him off. Gary went over with the camera and I could hear him talking to his son. It was so wonderful. Liam was crying the sweetest little cry and Gary was there coaching him like a Daddy. What a miracle! What a blessing!
For me...the next few mintues...not so pleasant! I wont go into details...but remember that mirror I had been joking about with Gary the day before...yeah... it was like a train wreck...I couldnt look away and I now think I am scared for life. Needless to say the delivery was a bit rough on both myself and Liam and recovery will take some time! In the end worth every scream and every stitch.
We moved to our recovery room and Liam went to the nursery for assessment and observation. He was back with in 30 minutes and I attempted to breast feed for the first time. Didnt quite go as planned, but I gave it effort. We got to sit and bond with him for a while and just enjoyed looking at him. I could sit and stare at him for hours.
We decided that at night we would send Liam to the nursery so that we could both get rest and not be worried. I didnt like the idea of having an open door and both of us sleeping. They brought him in every 3 hours to let him feed and they came back and picked him up an hour later. The breast feeding was rough. I tried and tried and he just wouldnt take. Of course there is no lactation consultant on staff over the weekend, so I only had the assistance of the nursery nurses. Eventually decided to start pumping and supplement with some formula. I feared that if he lost too much weight they wouldnt let him come home. Plus, with the rough delivery, he has a bit of jaundice. If we cant get him to take a couple good poops--that could delay him coming home too. I wanted to do what ever I could to get him to be able to come home quickly.
This morning I finally go to talk with the lactation consultant. She came to the room and really worked with me for a while to help coach me on how to get him to latch. Took a while but we finally got him to latch really good. The next feeding-- I wasnt so lucky, but I had pumped so I was at least able to give him some colostrum mixed with formula.
Liam's pediatrician also came in. Because of the jaundice she wanted to keep him another night and really keep him under the lights and work to clear it up. I am fine with this. I will do what ever is in his best interest. I will be so happy when we can all go home, but until then...we do what ever they tell us to.
Tonight Liam came in for his 7pm feeding and I was here alone. Gary had run home to feed the dogs and let them in the house. The nurse that dropped Liam off had said he had just had a really good poop and had made some room for dinner. He was happy and content and when I attempted to give him the boob-- he latched on quickly. I was so excited! He proceeded to nurse like a champ for 15 minutes. I was beaming the entire time. I am so proud of him. Right now I am waiting for him to come in for his 10pm feeding and I am wondering if we will be so lucky again. I hope so! If not... I will pump and mix with the formula again.
Life is good! I just keep looking at Gary and telling him how lucky we are (even though I know he knows!). I cant wait to take Liam home and feel like our family life has started. I cant wait to introduce him to Tanner, Girly and Tupper. Tanner has been sad the past few days-- according to Gary. I think he knows something is up and really senses it since I havent been home. I will have to give him some love when I get home. He will always be my first baby!
Well...now that I have written a book...I must get ready to see my baby! If you made it all the way through this....God bless you! Proabably more detail than you would have every expected!
I need to take some more pictures, but here is Liam visiting with his PawPaw today (the stickers by his eyes are for the "sunglasses" they put over his eyes while he is under the lights for the jaundice):
And spending time with Daddy while Mommy eats dinner:

3 comments:
Do you want me to just keep crying??? So wonderful!
he is perfect. i am so happy for you both.
Michelle & Gary,
Congratulations to you both. He is just beautiful and we can't wait to see him. Keep sending us some pictures. Love to all of you.
Post a Comment